Life happens. Some of us were taught growing up to not take shortcuts in life; that we should work on each day as it comes and stray away from cheating the process. Although we shouldn’t take shortcuts in all instances, there is nothing wrong with giving yourself a break and making your life a bit easier, especially when it comes to being environmentally friendly!
Taking a few easy changes to be more eco-friendly doesn’t have to be as painful as a stubbed toe and it doesn’t have to be expensive. This is when life hacks come in for the greater good, and I have a few to share with you that can incorporate into your everyday life.
- Wash your clothes on the ‘cold’ setting. You will use 40% less energy in doing so. Also, dry your wet laundry faster to save energy! Throw a dry towel in the dryer for 15 minutes to absorb excess moisture.
- Replace as many lights in your home as you can with LED lights and for three reasons: to reduce energy consumption, save money on your electric bill, and the bulbs can last up to 10 years!
- Fashion is one of the largest waste factors in the world. A Huffington Post survey found that the average American will throw out 81 pounds of clothing this year! To eliminate your waste, donate clothing you no longer want to a local thrift store and while you’re there, shop around for used clothing. Recycle and Reuse!
- Turn your everyday waste into everyday household goods. Do you have old plastic hangers lying around? Instead of throwing them away, use the hanger clips as new bag clips! About to throw away that spaghetti sauce jar? Don’t! Keep glass jars for food and accessory storage.
- When your tank is in need of gas, fill up at PRIDE locations to participate in the Purpose program and reduce your tailpipe emissions by up to 30%!
With these five simple environmental friendly hacks, you can take a step in the right direction in reducing your waste and carbon footprint! Do you have any other life hacks that you incorporate into your everyday life? Drop us a comment with your favorite life hacks! While you brainstorm, don’t forget to #PumpHerePlantTrees at PRIDE Purpose locations!