“One of the most beautiful qualities of true friendship is to understand and to be understood.” -Lucius Annaeus Seneca
What is International Day of Friendship?
Friends are the family we get to choose. Our friends are the people we laugh with, experience life with, and even cry with when life throws us curveballs. They are there with us through thick and thin and although we should celebrate our friends every day in every way possible, International Day of Friendship is a day we can admire all of the things we love about our friends all around the world and remind them of how much they mean to us.
International Day of Friendship was declared by the United Nations in 2011 with the intent of building communities, strengthening relationships, and making a move toward peace across the world. With so much negativity around us, it’s a time to reconcile our differences and become friends with people from all backgrounds.
Some of us have the privilege of being surrounded by our closest friends at all times. Others have moved far and wide and we don’t get to see them as often. Luckily, thanks to technology, they are only a short phone call or Facetime away. To celebrate International Day of Friendship, I have compiled a list of things to do and ways to celebrate with friends that are close-by and friends that are not so close-by, with a few eco-friendly ideas, of course. I’ve also included a few tips on how to make new friends on this special day.
Celebrate Your Friends So Near
- Go to a local farmers market with your friend and try foods you’ve never had before. Create new memories!
- July is National Picnic Month. Celebrate your special friend by enjoying a day outside in your local park. Check out our National Picnic Month guide here.
- Treat yourself! Go to your local spa or nail salon and get a massage or organic pedicure. Nothing strengthens a friendship like stress-relieving activities.
- Volunteer! Use this special day to strengthen your bond with your friend while you help those in need. By volunteering at a local soup kitchen or charity event, you can even make new friends to celebrate the day with!
- While you’re tackling your adventure, fill up at PRIDE Purpose locations to reduce your tailpipe emissions by up to 30%! That deserves a high-five!
Celebrate Your Friends Far and Wide
- Make a playlist on Spotify or other music databases for your friend. Fill it with songs that remind you of them or times you have had together!
- Take the time to learn about the culture of a friend. Ask your friend questions about their family or their favorite foods. Strengthen your friendship and cultural horizons!
- Reach out to a friend you haven’t spoken to in a while. Everyone gets busy and you may not have the time like you used to talk on a daily basis. Send your friend a text or call them to remind them that you care.
- Send your friend an eCard or flowers. Just because you can’t be with them physically doesn’t mean you can’t show your love for them in other ways!
We hope with these tips you will be able to celebrate with your friends all over the world in the best fashion possible! From PRIDE to you, Happy International Day of Friendship!