March 17th is approaching and if you’re planning on celebrating St. Patty’s Day there are several ways you can be extra green this year! Whether you are headed to the nearest pub, throwing a party, or attending a parade keep these environmentally friendly tips in mind for an extra green St. Patrick’s Day!
- If you’re throwing a party for the holiday, consider reusing or making homemade decorations as opposed to purchasing plastic decorations that will be used only once. This will save you money and most likely reduce your amount of waste. Here’s a link to some crafty homemade decoration ideas.
- Of course, everyone knows that you’ll get a pinch if you’re not wearing green. When planning an outfit, reuse any green clothing you already own. If you’re needing extra green for your wardrobe, pick up some festive gear from your local Goodwill. This will not only save you money but will eliminate the need to buy brand new holiday specific items that you may never wear again.
- Holidays and overindulging ourselves in food & beverages go hand in hand. This St. Patty’s, go local with your purchases. This not only gives back to the community but reduces the logistical impacts that come with the transportation of products. Purchase local beers and buy local organic meats and produce. Give that corned beef hash a green touch this year!
- With any party or celebration comes waste. Remember to recycle whatever you can. Pay special attention to any beverage containers used to celebrate the Patron Saint of Ireland. They can add up quickly and you don’t want them to end up in a landfill– recycle!
- Any easy hack to less plastic waste is to have a permanent marker by the plastic cups! This will incentivize your guests to hold on to their cup instead of using multiple.
Before heading down to your city’s parade or to your get together, fill up your vehicle with Purpose at one of The PRIDE Stores. Purpose allows you reduce your emissions up to 25%! Another way you can be extra green! Remember to drive responsibly this Saint Patrick’s Day.
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day from Purpose!